As part of my round the world adventure I struggled to get from Asia to South America without it costing me an arm and a leg! After much researching I found a great fare from Male (Maldives) to Rio.
Decision made! But how on earth could I afford the Maldives on a backpacker budget, and hang on wasn't the Maldives just full of couples on honeymoon?
The answer was NO! I'd always had my eye on some of the boat trips offered by G Adventures. For just over £1000 I had an all inclusive boat trip around the Maldives. Not only was this insane value for money but I got to have a week jam packed full of once in a lifetime opportunities:
1. Swimming with Dolphins: This is a stand out one. I had done this before but the was INSANE! We woke up one morning on the boat with Dolphins about 20m away playing. We quickly grabbed our snorkels and jumped in following their sounds under the water occasionally catching a glimpse of them in their natural habit.
2. Dinner on a private island: One night when we were chilling out on deck with a beautiful view of a tiny island (30 seconds to walk around tiny) I didn't notice that half the crew were missing. At dinner time we were whisked to the shore of our private island. The crew had dug us a table out of sand and placed a white table cloth over it. It was amazing.
3. Snorkelling on speed: We changed location everyday which meant we snorkelled in 2 different locations for 6 days. I saw tropical fish, reef sharks, stingrays and turtles.
So what was this trip?
- A week aboard a traditional fishing boat. The maximum number of people was 8. While it was basic it was paradise
- 6 days and 6 nights of exploring all around the islands.